Thursday, August 18, 2016

Conservative Parents

When we have children we have "ideas" on how we want them to be.  It is human nature.  I have a goal for my daughter, most importantly I want her to have faith in Jesus Christ, I want her to be grateful, hard working, loving and respectful.

We get on to them when they make mistakes, not only to teach them right from wrong, but to give them a taste of the real world.  In the real world if you make mistakes there are consequences.  As to at home.  Well it should be.

A huge part of what parents do, should be to prepare the child for adult hood.  If you give your child all that they "want" how are they going to adjust to being on their own.  In real life they will not get all they want and will be unprepared to deal with that fact.  If you do not give your children a taste of consequences they will not know how to react when they receive them in adult hood.  I have seen grown adults shut down emotionally, quit a job, all because they were held accountable for their actions.

If a child is having a bad day should we make them keep up with their chores?  I think for the most part if they are not dying then yes.  Every once in a while they should be given a break if they are sick but a bad day?  NO.  Children that are allowed to give excuses will continue to use them and in the real world they will constantly have problems.  Bosses do not like excuses, excuses will not pay bills.

Spoiled, coddled children will grow up to have feelings that the world is out to get them, they will have trouble with work relationships, personal relationships and authority figures.  Authority figures will be dismissed as bossy and mean, which will hinder their work success.

I believe the first lesson in the Bible is to work hard.  He worked so hard that even God Almighty took a day off.  I am sometimes confronted with this, I don't think any of us are working so hard that we need daily breaks from the real world.  People have called me a hard worker.  I usually fell I could do more.

Having fun with kids is the easy part, I love making my daughter laugh.  But that isn't all there is to parenting.  The hard part is teaching them ethics, hard work and responsibility.

You will not win many popularity contest with this ideal, but your kids will respect you in the long run.


Faith in Jesus
Grateful
A Work ethic.
Loving
Respect for Authority/Adults

No comments:

Post a Comment